Hello,

I'm Sam, Maureen/alpaca's youngest son. Mum asked me to write here once her operation was complete to give you all here an update on her condition.

First of all I wanted to thank all her for the support offered to Maureen. I know it has really helped her, we really appreciate it a lot.

As far as we know so far, the operation was a success and there were no complications.

The operation started early yesterday morning, and was done by about 5pm. She was then moved to intensive care overnight, and was still there at midday today when I visited her. The nurse informed me that she would be moved back to the ENT ward in the next hour or so.

So far so good I think! She was already able to talk a little, but still very dopey due to the sedation and painkillers. They didn't require a trach in the end, which I know she will be very relieved about.

We still haven't got the full report from the surgeon; my older brother is the point of contact and should receive that.

I'll return here in a few days time when she is hopefully a bit more with the world and provide another update.

All the best,
Sam

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.