Just got back from Auckland City where I had the tumour board meeting and pre-admission. Unfortunately it is going to be bigger than I expected: wide local excision of left buccal mucosa plus marginal mandibulectomy and left selective neck dissection. (Some "shiny" nodes showed up in CT scan.) I'll have some teeth removed and a forearm free flap to cover the area. I might not need a trache but it's a big possibility. Six to seven hour operation.

Six to eight weeks later they'll give me radiotherapy to prevent cancers reappearing (new primaries) on that side.

I'm disappointed, but have been very assertive about my post-surgical needs. I know I'm luckier than many oral cancer patients but I'm getting old now and I've always been a tempestuous patient ...

Maureenxxx

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.