Ankur, those are all great questions and I'll give you my opinion on a few of them.

1. PEG or not: I chose not as I was having a bit less radiation than many people get (5500 I think I remember). But by week 4 I wish I had gone for the PEG because the sores in my mouth were so plentiful and painful that it was all I could do to get maybe half of the calories I needed per day from liquid nutrition. I lost about 30 pounds overall of which maybe 8 or 9 was from surgery and complications. So...

2. Definitely eat everything you can now before radiation. Eat even if you're not hungry and don't spare the calories!

3. I drove myself, maybe 35 minutes each way. But only because there was no one else to do it. If you can get a friend or relative to take you I would recommend it. Certainly for the last few weeks.

4. Don't tolerate the pain. If you're in pain there is medication to deal with it. Be proactive with pain because it can really impact how you deal with what you need to have, i.e. radiation every day. Of course as anyone here will tell you, we're all different. What's bad for one person might be quite tolerable for another and you might end up with less discomfort than many here. You sound as though you have a great attitude, so I know you'll face it all with courage and a good heart!

5. Assume you're had your teeth checked, and fluoride trays made? Ask your RO if not. Ditto having your thyroid levels checked as these can be affected by radiation (as mine were).

6. I'm sure there's lots more that others will weigh in on.

I send you all my best thoughts and courage!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18