I recently underwent surgery as first phase of treatment. Next part is schedule that is radiation. What I have understood is out of this forum, daily calories intake and 48oz of water is a must.
I was 126 lbs before surgery and now today I am 116lbs. Meaning weight loss of 10lbs during the surgery. I am going to see oncologist soon, my question is, do I need PEG while I am on a radiation treatment for 5-6 weeks?
Here is my situation, I have very good apatite, but still swallow is a little challenge due to swelling and passive muscles in throat due to surgery which are recovering anyway. I am not still on a solid food. All purified food backed by Ensure to maintain daily calories.
My concern is, does radiation makes swallow tough? I am scared because I am a skinny guy and so less fat, less muscle and less water composition in a body. Can any one tell me if RO will suggest if I need PEG or not? OR do I need to approach for PEG to maintain regular calories intake?

Is radiation a horrible thing? I mean worst to get? I read here that people self drive for the treatment on a daily basis. But does it bring fatigue, nausea, or loss of apatite?

Thanks

Last edited by neversmoke; 02-03-2014 07:09 PM.

Special thanks to OCF and all respected members here for their support

Ankur, 37, T1N2M0
12/13: Biopsy and results
01/14: Partial Hemiglossectomy (1/3 tongue) and a Flap Reconstruction
Right neck dissection. 3/42 nodes positive and removed
Speech (80%) and swallow (100%) restored within 5 weeks after surgery(3/1/14)
03/14: 30 IMRT Appointments Started 3/17 (No CT)
04/14: Radiation treatments completed
07/14: PET - All Clear