Scott, Welcome to OCF, glad you have found these forums, sorry you had to my friend.

Rest assured that you are among people who have traveled a road very similar to the one you find yourself on now and are here to help you thru this experience.

I was diagnosed, six years ago as of 1/23, at thirty-three years of age, with a 28 year old wife, and two little boys, 4, and 7. The hardest thing I've ever done (and still even after treatment) was to tell my Seven year old I had cancer. His was response was "But daddy, I don't want you to die." Those words and the image of my sons face have been burned into my skull ever since.

I used it as motivation, to fight, to keep fighting. My favorite quote ever is in my signature, and my "why" is my family. My boys weren't, and still aren't ready for me to leave them�as their father I still have a few lessons to share with them. So I fight, every day.

It's a powerful motivator my friend, but my advice is to focus on what's right in front of you. The best advice anyone can give you after diagnosis is to get the absolute "best" medical advice available to you (and trust me everyone and their mother will give you advice, most of it bullsh*t).

NCI Designated CCC's have higher survival rates in cancer as they see more cases. US News & World report puts out a great guide every year ranking the top programs in the country, getting a second opinion from the top program in your area would just be prudence. After choosing your medical team, the only thing you can control is your attitude, and your nutrition, the rest is up to how your body responds to treatment.

Attitude and nutrition are just as important as your medical team. A large percentage of cancer patients die of either malnutrition, or infection..which is helped along by the malnutrition as the immune system isn't getting enough nutrients to fight them off.

Focus on hydration, and eating as much lean protein as you can ingest, as protein provides your body the amino acids it needs to throw at your immune system, and keep vital lean body mass. Keeping yourself as stress free as possible to help lower cortisol levels, which will help your immune response. You have an amazing resource in OCF's website and forums. The patient advocates on these forums have given you great advice already and are here with an ear when you need to vent�and you will need to vent wink

Surround yourself with positive people, and don't be afraid, or too proud, to ask for help. Nobody gets through this crap alone brotha.

Keep your chin up, you got this thing.

E

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.