Scott, your cancer sounds the same as mine. I am assuming it is under your oral tongue not down your throat (base of tongue cancer is often found there).

That said it's likely NOT HPV related and it sounds very much like your dr. is on track, however - a few things to think about.

If it is non HPV - then it can be an aggressive cancer. The NORMAL approach to this type of cancer is excision (often with a neck dissection with removal of a number of lymph nodes - often high 20s, to 40s - depending on what your CT scan says - and a clean CT does NOT mean that it is not in your nodes... this cancer can seed there and be too small to be detected on a scan - in other words - its microscopic). Often this will pop up after the primary is removed. That is why most ENTs who are experienced at dealing with tongue cancer of this type do a Neck dissection as well (this is NOT common practice with HPV related Base of tongue, or tonsil cancer)

You want to be at a ccc - this important as they have a team approach to treating you and often have other things available - dental ocology, radiation, and chemo - a hope lodge if it is out of town. I know a lot of hospitals are great and offer all three - but ccc's do cancer exclusively so they know what they are doing. Plus they also have clinical trials etc..

If it is the size of a dime chances are your dr will be removing double that size. Is he/she grafting it? My tumor was approximately an inch long by half an inch deep. They removed a third of my tongue and grafted it. I am a few years out and speak clearly and have only a small lisp at night when I am tired. I have also had radiation and chemotherapy. I had one node involved, that did not show up on any scans. My dr. told me from the outset that he was removing a large portion of my tongue, and 40 nodes despite a two clean cts and a clean MRI... and I am GRATEFUL.

I love the fact that your surgery is so fast. That's awesome...

do educate yourself. You are your own best advocate.

welcome, and hopefully your scans are good.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan