NO YOU ARE NOT FREAKING OUT. You need to see someone else... making a mistake once... is okay. (particularly if you are not part of the demographic who is normally associated with Oral Cancer (in the past - old men (particularly) - heavy smokers and drinkers)

HPV is generally NOT a cause of oral tongue cancer. It's not unheard of but unlikely.

So as I said - making a mistake once is marginally okay- BUT not listening to you and repeated making the same mistake (hello??? proven wrong once is usually a heads up to not rule anything out the next time...) is just bad medicine.

If you want to stay at that hospital then do so... but find out who the top ENT is there and ask to be referred to him/her.

This person is playing with your life and not taking you seriously can be deadly.

Also a PET and CT can turn up negative when the cancer is microscopic. Cancer can seed to the nodes and not be seen on a scan until it is a reasonable size. I've had a 3mm node highlight. But I've also had a 1.5 cm node (that was verified cancer) not.

My dr. (ENT) who is amazing never speaks in absolutes. His experience has taught him that not everyone is textbook.

best of luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan