I saw 3 oncologists at UCSD in 12/2010, when I was diagnosed as Stage 4 HPV+ BOT. AFter hearing that the 5 year survival rate was somewhere around 50%, and learning a bit about this cancer, I decided to "work" on my nutrition, and physical and emotional well being. During this time I independently learned about TORS robotic surgery and proton radiation, neither of which were available at UCSD. I finally consulted oncologists at UCLA and Loma Linda which offer one or both of these treatments. the radiation oncologist advised me that my base of tongue tumor and swollen lymph node required radiation and chemo. And likely a neck dissection. But that robotic surgery was not advisable. The robotic surgeon on the other hand is ready to operate and then also offer radiation and chemo. So, I'm at a loss as to which direction to go.

DX in 12/2010. Stage 4 SCC HPV+ BOT swollen lymph. I've spent the past 3 years away from medical treatments. Instead I've focused on good nutrition, active exercise, singing, laughing, oral exercises and such. I've had neither pain nor discomfort. But I haven't been able to kill the cancer. So, I'm now considering robotic surgery and/or radiation.