Hello and happy family break to all you brave souls out there,

Radiation is an unknown, I know the recovery process after surgery took me trough the unimaginable and I want to be mentally prepared to care for my husband.

He has a good bill of health though he does have an arethmia (arterial fibrillation of the upper heart chambers). His post surgery scans were clear though they did do a cautionary biopsy of the granulation tissue on his new gum near the close 2 mm clear margin which came back negative!

I have been reading a lot of posts and have gathered that:

1. Eating well and drinking water is critical
2. Oral care after every meal and hourly rinsing
3. Stretching and swallowing exercises every hour
4. Encouragement and massage for the fatigue
5. Monitor thyroid (not sure if the testosterone is to be watched during radiation)

The radiation will be aimed primarily at the left jaw from the canine to the back, the neck will also be radiated. The right side will be radiated more moderately and with less intensity. They are planning to spare the saliva glands on the right side, on the left side I know they can't avoid radiating them. (Not sure if radiation to the back of the jaw where the molar used to be is a danger for hearing loss)

I am also concerned about the fibrosis tissue above the scar on his neck getting stiffer. He described the sensation of struggling with the tightness of his neck. His jaw looks amazing but he said he felt intense pressure like his jaw was the size of a big ball. I wasn't aware how dominant these numb and tight sensations were. I know radiation makes everything tighter and thicker and 'Uptown' said that the best thing for this is stretching and exercise.

Quality of life is hard work and lots of heart, I find every day we spend with our friends that my sweetie forgets himself and sparkles again. I really do admire and honor his perseverance and will to live to the fullest of his capacity. All of you are truly inspiring.

I know there is a lot to be left to the unknown, I am back to taking everything one day at a time. It sure is comforting to know that we share a deep understanding and compassion even though we are all across the planet!

Much blessings, Sophie

husband 61@diagnosis painter
6/9/13 Exophylic invasive SCC IV(ext.gingivobuccal) 3cm+ mandibular/lytic/erosion, jugular/node9mmshort-axis
17/9/13 Dx(moderately aggressive)
24/10/13 left madiblectomy, mod radical neck disct, leg flap, NGtube
2/01/14 (30 tx)rads 60gy
N2b (2nodes under jaw) (rem. in tiny nerves) (rem. 30 nodes)
Clear margin, close 2mm inner cheek
15/05/14 cellulitis
3/12/14 Chest CT Clear
27/02/15 cellulitis
8/6/15 cellulitis
10/6/15 Osteomyelitis