Can oral cancer show up differently a second time around? My cancer was a superficial surface SCC (less than 1mm thick) as a result of chronic lichen planus, required no chemo or radiation, I recieved a Co2 laser treatment. (I subsequently developed adhesions requiring a 2nd surgery and have lingual nerve damage to the left side and tip of my tongue)

Almost 2 years out I now have a tender spot on the 'healthy' side of my tongue near the bottom base, no discolouration but is now visible, but wasnt a month or so ago when I asked to see my ENT again. I got to my appt late and they had closed up for the day 2 weeks ago; but I bitched about them closing and have another appt this Friday.

The pain is worse if I stretch and stick out my tongue or after eating. Seems somewhat postional. It is smaller than a grain of rice in size, I can feel it with my finger tips. A lump.

So can a thin veil of SCC morph into a SCC lump the 2nd time around? It is very different in appearance from the first. And is it common for cancer to move from one side to the other of the tongue? Or can I be hopeful that its a blocked salivary gland or something of that nature?

Life is good right now. Finally worth living. I am in love for the very first time in my life and have a fabulous job that I just got a month ago.

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage