Can oral cancer show up differently a second time around? My cancer was a superficial surface SCC (less than 1mm thick) as a result of chronic lichen planus, required no chemo or radiation, I recieved a Co2 laser treatment. (I subsequently developed adhesions requiring a 2nd surgery and have lingual nerve damage to the left side and tip of my tongue)

Almost 2 years out I now have a tender spot on the 'healthy' side of my tongue near the bottom base, no discolouration but is now visible, but wasnt a month or so ago when I asked to see my ENT again. I got to my appt late and they had closed up for the day 2 weeks ago; but I bitched about them closing and have another appt this Friday.

The pain is worse if I stretch and stick out my tongue or after eating. Seems somewhat postional. It is smaller than a grain of rice in size, I can feel it with my finger tips. A lump.

So can a thin veil of SCC morph into a SCC lump the 2nd time around? It is very different in appearance from the first. And is it common for cancer to move from one side to the other of the tongue? Or can I be hopeful that its a blocked salivary gland or something of that nature?

Life is good right now. Finally worth living. I am in love for the very first time in my life and have a fabulous job that I just got a month ago.
Unfortunately the second time around OC can present itself differently. Please try your best not to worry until you know for sure what you are dealing with. I know that is really hard to do but sometimes a lump is just a lump.

When in doubt, get checked out.

Good luck!!!!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Lump at the bottom base of my lateral tongue. - 09-19-2013 11:19 AM
It could be something or nothing, and would be hard to say what are the possibilities. You're doing the right thing by going to see the ENT.

Good luck!
Okay - not to scare you but YES! I would ask to see the ENT ASAP - it can move and travel to different locations. Within the mouth, though tongue generally travels around the tongue - possibly to base of tongue and ocassionally but rarely to tonsils...Maybe it's a lot like real estate... location location location. If that makes sense. From reading other people here I've noted that cheek can move to gum and back and forth. A lump - could be anything, but mine presented as a lump under the surface. I thought it was scar tissue as I'd had thickened skin removed from the same area 10 years before, but NO it was a tumor, and it grew under the surface, and I had NO visual lesions - just pain.
Also if it was well differentiated the first time, there is no guarantee of it being the same the second time around. In fact as it moves it sometimes becomes more aggressive. Call and ask to be put in if there are cancellations.
hugs and hang in there. At worst if it is a recurrence, then you have caught it early at best it's nothing and you've put your mind at ease.
Good News, went to my ENT and he took a biopsy but didnt think it was necessary. Believes it to be an ulcerated spot caused by sharp teeth. Even with all the filing down of my teeth I have had done, its apparently not enough.

I should get the results of the biopsy in another week.

Guess its been awhile but I seem to remember my biopsies healing faster than this one. No sutures, just some silver nitrate to control the bleeding and a course of antibiotics (I have a congenital heart defect) still not healed but it hasnt been quite 2 weeks yet. Pain is much better. smile
Very good to hear! Do let us know when the results come back but your doctor is surely a great judge
So glad to hear this news, Tracy!
Good news!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Lump at the bottom base of my lateral tongue. - 10-02-2013 12:41 PM
Happy to hear!
So glad you're dr was unconcerned. I had my teeth filed twice, then I got a prescription for oracort and applied it after I'd eaten and brushed, and before bed. I was gone in two weeks. Thankfully I didn't get to the point of needing a biopsy - it was just a reallllly deep hole left over from rads. hugs.
Wonderful news Tracy.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum