hey there... as a person who has had a neck dissection I can tell you... it's not that bad. You wake up with drains, there will be swelling but for the most part you are numb, your pain will be minimal. I was off pain meds day 2 - I have a high pain tolerance it seems, but because they cut the nerves in your neck you have more discomfort (not being able to feel your face from the ear down - stiffness, and your shoulder will be highly screwed for a while0. You will need physio for your arm and shoulder when all this is done. I am not sure if you will be meeting with the anaesthetist or not but makes sure your surgeon is aware of your concerns - re your tolerance to pain meds and anaesthesia. best of luck...
it will not be that bad.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan