Shanette

Christine's post reminded me that as the major "I don't need no stinking PEG" warrior in the PEG wars, I have been remiss in not supporting your dad's decision more vigorously. What the pegophiles simply cannot comprehend is how meaningful, what a major psychological victory, how important it is to small subset of patients to get through TX without a PEG.
Part of it is ignorance of some doctors, that even late in TX, a PEG can be inserted by interventional radiology in a simple 15 minute surgery using a fluroscope. They make a very small incision precisely over the optimal part of the stomach, then insert the tube from the outside, inflate the balloon and it's done. Not even full anesthesia usually. since many doctors only know of the endoscopic way, they don't think to check with other surgery departments.
But your father is so close to making it now, Encourage him and please do not make light of his "victory". When I started giving out "imaginary medals" to those of us who made it without a feeding tube, the reaction was outrage from caregivers who mistakenly felt I was slighting the courage of their patients and their patients struggles. But then when I joined OCF, it was easier to advocate getting quack therapy than to say you could make it without a PEG.
You are a great caregiver and tell your dad, his imaginary medal is wairing for him.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13