The lymph node that was leaking for my wife was also only 0.7mm in diameter which baffled our doctors as well.

In regards to your two questions:

a) I would highly encourage you to stay off the PEG and try and feed orally as long as possible. If push comes to shove and things get difficult during treatment, you always have the option to get a nasal gasteric tube inserted which is less invasive.

Try and eat as much as possible NOW and put on as much weight possible because once the docs see you lose more than 5% of your pre-treatment body weight, they will recommend you get the tubes fitted in.

b) A portacath (PICC line) is great as any time you need a blood test or need to administer chemo, you do not have to get needles poked at you every time by the nurses.

As for the 3 administrations of chemo which I am assuming is just cisplatin, ask your doctors if you are able to split that to 7 smaller doses instead of the '3 big bag' as it is much easier to tolerate and basically has the same effect.

As stated in an earlier post, my wife who has just got out of treatment is a very similar scenario to yours and if you want to learn more about what we went through, there is a post below in this section that may give you some further info on what we went through.

Hope that helps.

Jay

6/8/12: Wife 33y/o with no risk dx with Stage IVa SCC L of Tongue(T4aN2bM0)
3/9/12: Induced birth @ 36 weeks - Baby Hunter!
11/9/12: OP - 3/4 Partial Gloss, Radical ND & Tongue Rec.
24/10/12: 33xRad + 7xChemo
7/12/12: Tx complete
21/3/13 & 21/6/13: NED
24/7/13: SCC in Lungs - OP: Lobectomy (VATS)
29/1/14 passed away