Being different in our society is tough, and children in particular, out of ignorance of their impact on the emotions of others, can be brutally candid and overt sometimes. At their young age, it is likely that they have not themselves been subjected to any significant physical or emotional scars, and they lack the perspective that might temper their behavior. However, even I find myself unstoppably curious at times, catching myself staring at the one legged man, with the ultra high tech leg who jogs by my home, or at people with large, visible scars. I suppose it is human nature. I think what you have to attempt to put into perspective, is that it is more about how we view ourselves than how others view us. We may assume that others find us unattractive, especially when we ourselves do not like the way we look. Rather than shock or distaste, in reality, their stare may be something completely different, born of compassion, or simply benign curiosity. I suspect that if he sees me staring, the one legged man doesn

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.