First, take a deep breath. There are many things that can cause swelling in the parotid glands and lymph nodes. Cancer is one of the relatively rare ones.

I'm curious first how you know you're HPV positive. I'm assuming that you were tested?

Secondly, to the best of my knowledge the virus is very often, perhaps mainly (I'll leave it to experts to parse this out) symptom free. I'm HPV 16 positive and never knew it until they tested me after my cancer diagnosis.

To be absolutely sure I and probably most here would recommend that you see an ENT with expertise in oral cancer. I'm not trying to second guess the doctor you saw as I am not an M.D., but to put your own mind at ease it might not be a bad idea to look at the Comprehensive Cancer Center links here on this website. That's always a good place to start.

I'm sure others will chime in with more (and doubtless better) advice. But mainly please remember that many things produce symptoms, and most of them aren't cancer!

Keep us posted.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18