Hey guys (and girls). I'm Garrett. I'm a 24 year old male living in the Philadelphia, PA area. I was diagnosed with undiff. sarcoma on Sept. 29th, 2011. Not sure what stage I was. Although, due to ignorance on mine (and my doctors) parts I think I've had cancer much longer. Maybe since around age 17. For a while, they thought I had a large hemangioma (benign vascular tumor) in my tongue.

Since my cancer diagnosis, I've gone thru 5 cycles of chemotherapy as well as 35 IMRT sessions. On 9/7/12 (about 3 weeks ago) I underwent a near total glossectomy. I still have my tongue base along with a free flap reconstruction from my left leg.

I had a PEG tube (still present, obviously) and a tracheotomy (removed, but healing - 1 week today).

Upon my follow up I was told the marginal biopsies came up negative. So at the moment, I'm cancer free from what I understand.

I can swallow liquids, I'm trying to ween myself off the PEG tube. They expect me to drink 7 ensure/boosts per day. Yesterday I was able to drink 1 entire one for the first time... That made me kinda happy.

My speech is not great, but I'm definitely understandable.I have complete confidence in working on "by myself". I have great family and friends to talk to all the time.

I have come here for support and advice. They say a lot of people in my type of situation don't really end up chewing stuff again and remain on a mostly liquid diet.

I was somewhat of an athlete before and Im having some concerns about getting the proper nutrition to fuel my body as time goes on and I hopefully return to a normal lifestyle.

I know it's only be 3 weeks, but I'd like to hear what some of you near total glossectomy patients are eating... if there's anyone else out there?!?!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Wrong DX since 05
Tx Since 11/10 3 KTP laser surgeries
Correct DX Sarcoma Tongue 9/11
5 cycles doxerubicin + ifex 11/11
35x IMRT 03/12
Near Total Glssctmy/Right Nck Dsct + Trach + PEG 9/7/12
Recovering Nicely.