I�ve been fighting a bout of Thrush for the past few weeks. I was prescribed some tablets to kill it off a month ago but must have stopped too soon as it returned a few weeks ago. I had some pain associated with it so I thought it was just taking a long time to clear up. On Saturday the Pain was really bad so I took out a pen light and had a good look. I found a nickel sized spot that looked like a white puffy spot on the right bottom side of my soft palet (just below my first cancer site). I thought it was a leftover spot of Thrush and doubled up on the thrush tablets over the long weekend to try and finish it off.

I was able to get in to see my GP today as the tablets were having no effect and the spot was really killing me pain wise. The GP was able to get a sample of some of the white crud on the spot and get a slide. He looked at that and said it was not thrush, just what he normally sees filmed over ulcers. He said the whole thing looked like an ulcer. I had to agree with that as it certainly felt as painful as any ulcer I have had. He is referring me to a local ENT as I will not go back to see my old one here and the University of Pittsburgh is quite a drive.

He said it could be a return of cancer and that it did not look good but it could also be any number of other things. The fact that I had a clear PET scan a month ago and that this particular spot started hurting a few weeks ago was probably in my favor as SCC does not normally grow at such a speed.
Has anybody ever seen a return of cancer come on that quickly? (From nothing to nickel size in just a few weeks).

I am also holding out some hope it�s an infection as this thing has always been painful whereas the cancer never was. It could be necrosis of the tissue given all the radiation I have had or a simple infection (GP gave me some antibiotics).

Hope to see the ENT within two days. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR