Hi Audrey, I agree with Tammy, it is important to make sure he takes regular anti nausea medication. Talk to the docs about finding the right one, there are a lot of options so speak out if they are not working. I had a lot gastric reflux and was given lansoprozole which is a proton pump inhibitor and it worked a treat. You need to ask for liquid or powder forms of medications that can be give down the tube.

I had a stomach gastric tube rather than a nasal one so can't comment on the effect of the tube on vomiting, but taking small amounts regularly through the tube should be easier on the stomach. When I was completely off eating I had a pump delivering the feed slowly overnight. Though the danger of that with the nasal tube might be that it is easy to pull out while asleep, but it might be an option through the day. My problem with vommiting was due to the thick saliva from mucositis making me gag. There was not a lot I could do about that but live through it, and take extra feed down the tube afterwards.

Taking what ever he can by swallowing is really important, to keep the swallowing muscles active. Warm water was the best I could manage at my worst. To help the mouth pain I rinsed very frequently with a bicarbonate mouthwash (1 tsp to 1 pint water)which I still use. I was also prescribed a mouthwash called Difflam (benzydamine)which numbs the sore mouth, and an antacid/oxetacaine oral suspension to help ease the pain.
Hope the chemo is going OK. Sally

Last edited by saxicola; 09-03-2012 09:07 AM.

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.