Hi Audrey, Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your father. He is entering the worst part of the treatment. It is a very horrible time. I was exactly like that at the same stage of my treatment. I can't advise on whether he should drop the last session or not, but it is important to speak to the doctors about this. It is also important to ask about trying other medication for nausea as they are lots of different options. The chemo is not as essential as the radiotherapy. The chemo makes the tumour more susceptible and so enhances the effects of the radiation. The symptoms you mention are also due to the accumulating effects of the radiation, which will not start to improve for at least a couple of weeks after the radiation stops. Sorry if this news does not help much.

It is really, really important that he keeps his fluid and calorie intake high, as his body is fighting hard to deal with the treatment. Dehydraton will make him feel a lot worse. Does he have a PEG? It is importnt that he keeps swallowing some fluid throughout the day so that he keeps his swallowing muscles active. I could only sip fluids at this stage as I had a very sore mouth and nausea. I found that an infusion of a small piece of root ginger with honey and cooled to a tepid temperature was the best thing to drink, which helped with the nausea. I had a complete nutrition food via my gastric tube for all my nutrition intake. I think I also ate natural probiotic yoghurt as much as possible.

Please tell him to tell him to stay strong, it will get better and will be worth it. Please keep posting with any more questions. There are lots of people here who will help you and your father through this.

Best wishes, Sally

Last edited by saxicola; 08-31-2012 11:38 AM. Reason: grater clarity

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.