Hi Emily:

I had half of my tongue replaced and a flap from my forearm as well. That was August last year.

I just finished up speech therapy about a month ago. I highly recommend it. I also had to do mouth and tongue stretching exercises. So the sooner you get started the less stiffness you will have.

She reminded me first that there would only be so much a person can accomplish.

She told me to practice, practice and practice. She gave me many exercises and tongue twisters. I did what she said and my speech is still a bit "lispy" but I am so much more articulate now. I practice talking to the cat every morning before I talk to people,lol.

We recorded my voice in the beginning, then I read the same passage again at the end of the therapy and you CAN actually hear a pretty significant difference. There is also tone, pitch and volume to consider for which the therapist can help you.

Since your tongue is a muscle, keeping it stretched and strong helps with speech and eating.

Wishing you the best!

'08 SCC Rt tongue,part glossect.
'09 Rt neck dissect, 3 Cisplatin, 35 rad.
Aug '11 Rt tongue,hemiglosstmy, Lt neck dissect, forearm flap, 8 Erbitux,30 rad, brachy tongue.
Oct '12 SCC prev stoma site. SCC inside trachea.
Nov '12 total larengectomy, addl neck disect, pec flap
Oct '15 Myelodysplastic Syndrome (form of leukemia)

Dec 8, 2015 passed away peacefully at home surrounded by loved ones
How Cindy wants to be remembered..."I want people to realize I am no longer trapped in this body prison, and I will be free and whole. I want to be remembered by all the good and loving times spent together, not in sadness."