Emily -

[quote]Assuming the cancer doesn't come back, am I going to have to be explaining to everyone I meet for the next 60 years why I speak like this?
[/quote]

Well, maybe, but when you're eighty-four you may have a cane to smack rude people with, so it can do the talking for you. I think that Charm's approach is probably pretty effective - a brief description of the problem that does not invite additional inquiry. You might add a statement that thanks the client in advance for their understanding (but don't apologize !!!).

If you think about it, there are lots of people walking around who wouldn't (as we horse people say) pass a vet check. I have a limp from my auto-immune crap that emerges when I am tired or have walked on uneven ground (catching my horse). I also feel badly when people call me on it. Since I am not as nice a person as you, I threaten to show them my hip xray, and say that if they see it they would be impressed I can walk at all.

My very best wishes to you, and {hugs} for all the times when it gets you down. When you are a feisty old lady in a purple hat, you will look back with pride with your bravery and perservence in handling the hard times in your youth!

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.