Welcome to being a male in this day and age smile

80% of women in the US will have one strain or another of HPV by the age of 60 and like many of us caring, thoughtful, sensitive, and giving male lovers that perform oral sex, we're at risk for HPV related oral cancer.

My guess is that you've probably have had oral sex with several women in your lifetime that have been exposed to HPV in one form or another, unfortunately thems the statistic my friend. Now the upside is that you now know you have a risk factor and you should be diligent in making sure your immune system is in good shape by proper nutrition, exercise, and managing stress, and anxiety. If you have symptoms that concern you, which you have then you should go to a "knowledgeable" ENT to get them checked out.

That being said, don't go back to the ENT you just went to as he's obviously not up on the research that has been published since the link between HPV and Oral Cancer was established by Dr. Maura Gillison in 2000. Find an ENT that is up on the current demographics and symptoms of HPV related oral cancer, as you definitely would fit the age demographic as 60% of newly diagnosed oral cancers are HPV related, largely between the ages of 20-40, and are male by a ratio of 3-1.

Now the Visilight Oral Cancer screening tool will not detect HPV oral cancers, which are usually Base of Tongue or Tonsilar, which are hard to see due to where they are located in the mouth. As your tonsils are enflamed I would go to another ENT more up on HPV and have him check out your tonsils and scope you, insist on it. You are the patient, so be your own advocate and tell them what you need to get peace of mind on this.

Now, what I will tell you is not to freak out, we have a saying on these boards that "It's NOT cancer until a biopsy says it is". Also understand that stress and anxiety lower your immune system due to hormone response so just follow the steps I've laid out for you and keep us informed. Be diligent as you have a risk factor, but don't let fear rule you my friend, we are here for you.

Hope that helps, keep your chin up.

Eric

Last edited by Brian Hill; 07-31-2012 07:01 PM. Reason: changed date

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.