I had sores on my tongue on and off for years. By the time I was diagnosed, I had been in pain for many months. During my first visit with the oncologist, she suggested that she would do the PET scan, however if there was lung involvement, she probably would not do surgery on my tongue. I was diagnosed with Stage IV SCC of the tongue in December, 2011. I had surgery January 9, 2012 and finished up with radiation and chemo in April. Had my first post-op PET scan mid-July and it is completely clear. At this point, I have issues with heavy phlem, speech and difficulty swallowing (I had 70% of my tongue removed)but I feel great! I only weigh 114 pounds at 5'5", but I am traveling and working and even had my husband and I flew our very active 5 year old granddaughter to Florida for a week long visit. After that we all flew to MD for a 2 week visit with our families (watched my granddaughter the whole time while our daughter worked. Then flew out to Vegas for 5 days and back to FL. I admit, I slept the next 4 days, but then right back to work. I would have never thought that possible 6 Months ago. Hang in there.

Last edited by CarolAnn; 07-22-2012 07:36 PM. Reason: Forgot diagnosis