Your questions are difficult to answer, Heather. Of course the earlier cancer is detected the better chance for a full and complete recovery. There are so many factors that make it difficult to explain what is considered early. A persons age, physical condition, other health issues (ex. diabetic) all contribute to what a doctor would consider to be catching something early. There is all kinds of info on the web, some true and others not so factual. Be cautious when doing research. Im very glad you have found The Oral Cancer Foundation's website. This site complies with Health on the Net standards which means you will find correct medical info here on the forum and also on the main OCF pages. There are many very interesting articles listed on the main pages where you will learn a considerable amount of info about oral cancer.

My tumor had been in my mouth for probably 3 or 4 months before I was diagnosed and I was a Stage I. I was otherwise in good health and the white sore looked to me like a canker sore, it had been unchanged in size the whole time it was there.

I would guess that the indent is not related to the other symptoms. If your husband is a smoker or tobacco user, now would be the time to quit. When I hear black gums it makes me think of tobacco usage, like the tar in cigarettes. My suggestion would be if it does turn out to be cancer, work on getting the best nutrition and hydration. Is it possible your husband is dehydrated causing the cracks on his lips? Try to get him to take in a minimum of 48 oz of water daily.

I am hoping the biopsy comes back as nothing serious. Please keep us posted and we will try to help you both with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma