Kathy

Best wishes for your Mom. Since it's clear from your post that the mask has already been fitted by this time today, I won't comment on it. Since she has opted for radiation TX, I would insist that her doctors immediately do a TSH blood test right now to see what her normal levels are. Please don't take no for an answer or the doctors' misinformed opinion that it doesn't matter, since subsequent blood tests can detect a thyroid problems. It is simply not true since the lab tests ranges are so large and also so 20th century and not acceptable to any savvy endocrinologist. It is a very easy test and she will be having a lot of blood work done anyway. What you want to be able to do, is after your Mom survives this (and she very well may), is to have her be able to have her own personal thryoid levels back. Trust me on this issue, I have personal experience on how terrible life can be without the right thryoid levels even though the old 20th century lab ranges say it's acceptable. Thank God I found an endocrinologist who graduated in the 21st Century who could help me.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13