Didier,
I know how your Mom is feeling. I too was unable to eat due to intense pain in my mouth and throat at about week 3 of radiation. If it had not been for the lidocaine, I would have starved. I would hold it in my mouth for as long as I could (5-10 minutes) and then spit it out and drink an Ensure or two. It was not ideal, but that was my ONLY option and even then it was a struggle to force myself to do. If it wasn't for my husband constantly reminding me that I needed to look after myself and go on for him and my kids (5 & 13 at the time), I would have just not bothered. It lasted about 2 more months after my radiation treatments were over but it was all worth it. I have only read about the PEG tube on this forum, wish I had known or had the option. I am going for round 2 of surgery soon, no radiation this time but of course since I am losing another chunk of my tongue, I'm concerned about how much I will be able to chew and swallow this time (I'm kinda sick of the taste of Ensure after a diet of it for almost 5 months even if it was 2.5 years ago!)and wonder if a PEG tube would be something I should ask my Dr about for this. As some others mentioned, the need for nutrition and hydration is SO important for her right now. Good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gail

Oct00 Stage4 SCC,rad neck dissection.Removal of 50% of tongue with forearm flap added.All nodes removed and clear.IMRTx30.New tumor stage 1, removed rest of tongue Aug 03. Still talking!