I think that 6 smaller chemo treatments are the way hospitals are going in order to make it possible for patients to get all of the chemo. I had 6 so cannot speak to 3, but apparently the longer times are much more difficult for the body. I read somewhere months ago about one study which showed that 3 vs 6 cisplatin for head & neck patients made no difference in outcome, or at least for the times considered in the study. But I can't provide the citation for you unfortunately. I see that I may have read the same one your doctor points out.

Regarding surgery for oral cancer, if it is oral cavity cancer rather than oropharyngeal, surgery is the first line of treatment. This is according to the NCCN guidelines, not my opinion necessarily. Definitive radiation is not supposed to work very well with cancer of the oral cavity, perhaps because it is HPV negative. I'll leave that part to the experts.

My PA at MD Anderson told me cisplatin affected hearing depending on where the heaviest radiation was given, or let's say that is what he has noticed among patients. I have minor hearing loss in the very highest range, but I'm told it really won't affect my functional hearing, and I agree. My husband who is not the patient has some hearing loss in my opinion. I've suggested he get tested instead of me, but it hasn't gone over well. Yeah, David, I'm with you that hearing aids aren't all they are cracked up to be, hope your hearing does not decline.

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021