John of Arc

It is confusing on the forum when the majority of people confuse mucositis with excess mucous and ropey saliva so they post about one when they really mean the other. I did it at first. Now to your questions.
1 [quote]Are ropey salvia and mucositis related?[/quote] Depends upon your definition of "related". Both ropey thick saliva and mucositis are caused by the same thing: radiation damage so in that broad general sense, they are related. But related in terms of causality, no. Mucositis means mouth sores caused by radiation damage to the mucous tissues of the mouth and does not cause the ropey saliva which is caused by radiation damage to the salivary glands. Neither one causes the other.
2 [quote]Is ropey salvia a symptom of mucositis?[/quote] No, Ropey saliva is not a symptom of mucositis any more than fatigue or nausea or any of the other "related" damages caused by radiation are symptoms of mucositis.
3. [quote]how long before the ropey salvia cleared up for you?[/quote]
My first time, the ropey saliva cleared up in a month.
The second time, with the salvage surgery and radiation in excess of the maximum, about 3 months during which I used a suction machine daily and at night it was so thick.

Remember, you are young, I was old. Your times should be better. Worse case, practice spitting now into one of the those large coffee carry mugs, and you will be able to talk even with the saliva. Or at least I was able to
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13