Aimelee, what you say about feeling orphaned makes perfect sense. I don't care how old you are when it happens, your mama's always your mama. When I lost my Mom, someone gave me a wonderful book, "Motherless Daughters". I highly recommend you have a look at it as it may speak to your heart as well.

As you know, my Mom passed well before I was married and children as well. Although they do not know her in flesh, I've made sure they know her in spirit and through little daily things in our lives. The peonies planted in the front flower bed, next to where my son waits for the bus, are her favorite...and he knows that. They know her and her sisters (my aunts) cheated at cards, drank grasshoppers and giggled way too much. They also know she was an incredibly bright and strong woman. Your Mom will always be your one-day children's grandmother, nobody can take that away.

I know you're looking for signs/proof that she's nearby...I've done the same with my brother and my mother. Things happen that make you wonder...was my son looking over my shoulder and laughing, a lot, as a baby a sign? My sister reported almost the same thing with her baby, was that a sign? I don't know. Here's what I believe....if they are able to be around in spirit, I can think of no other place they would want to be than near their loved ones. I don't know if that gives you any comfort, but it helped me. Hang in there, Ana

Last edited by AnaD; 06-12-2012 07:15 AM.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED