As a proponent of vaccination I am all about vaccinating our kids. With a 225% increase in HPV caused oral cancers since the late 1980's, this thing is running out of control and the numbers are actually going to be staggering when our grandchildren are of sexual age.

Having said all that, I think give a history of neurological issues, that before you give your children ANY vaccine, you should make a joint decision with your pediatrician, and ideally speak to another doctor that has history with this one in particular. If you need assistance making that decision ( of which an unknown factor will always exist even with the best information) I perhaps can introduce you to someone from the Merck research team that knows more about it than you average doctors.

A familial genetic transfer for susceptibility to get oral SCC is not known to exist, and as it relates to HPV positive disease, this is clearly a life experience exposure causality. So while your husbands experience in this situation is no indicator of what will happen to your children, they will one day become sexually active and in all likelihood they will come in contact with the virus. For 99.1 percent of all Americans that is a non issue. Their immune systems will clear HPV16 and they will never even know that they were infected. But for that last almost 1 % there is no way of knowing who they are, and the cascade into a malignancy is a reality. The only choice for them is the vaccine.

But think about the math, think about underlying issues your children have manifested, and make an educated decision. They are all unique biological entities, and how any vaccine or any medicine impacts them is also a unique biological outcome to some extent. Do not believe the Internet nonsense about people dying form these vaccinations, there has not been a documentable issue like that with it, but the anti-vaccine movement and their misinformation is hard at work in the US. They are too young to remember when smallpox or polio were major killers of thousands a year in the US. The last case of small pox was in 1949, and it was controlled through a vaccine.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.