Hey Ben!

Recovery takes time my friend and let me just say this to be clear. Your fat stores will do nothing to help your body recover from treatment, adipose tissue (body fat) is like the "extreme reserve tank" that your body will tap if it needs energy. In fact it will break down lean muscle mass for energy first which leaves you weakened, and take into consideration that there is a direct link between percentage of lean muscle mass and survival rates from cancer. (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/muscling-away-cancer/) (http://www.ajcn.org/content/84/3/475.full)

That being said loading up on massive amounts of protein can be harmful as well, especially while on medications due to how it affects your kidneys. Recommended intake is .55-.70 grams of protein per pound of body weight in healthy individuals, I'd recommend the low end while on medications due to kidney function. Split that intake up through several small meals as your body will only be able to absorb around 30g (for men, 20g for women) at any one sitting. The rest it will pass.

I just wrote up a fitness and nutrition regime for another survivor who is around 300lbs as well and wants to lose weight and gain lean muscle mass, I can help you as well if you'd like, I'm a fitness freak. I would wait until you are recovered before starting any physical activities however the nutrition you can start at anytime. Based on your weight alone your calorie intake to maintain 300lbs will be somewhere around 3500 calories per day, some of that is dependent on height, age and activity level so it's a rough guestimate.

My advice would be this though for nutrition while you are in recovery:

At least 3000 calories per day
Carbs: 338 grams (45%)
Protein: 150 grams (20%)
Fat: 117 grams (35%)(mono & poly unsaturated, restrict saturated)

Steer away from starches and sugars due to their effect on blood sugar. Use whole grains (oatmeal), good fats (dairy, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil etc) and lean proteins for fuel.

After recovery I can set you up on a more personalized plan if you want just know that it's a lifestyle change and there is no magic bullet for weight loss, nutrition and exercise with proper nutrition literally being half the battle.

Good luck, keep your chin up my friend.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.