What a good friend you are, Becky! I guess you just have to let your friend know that you are there for her. When I was going through my treatments, my husband was very reluctant to leave me alone. I was having a really rough time with them. I also didn't really want to see anybody, but a couple of my friends came and my daughter came and sat with me, so that my husband could get away even just for an hour or two. Both of us found that really helpful. Getting someone to come and sit with your friend's husband, while you take her to lunch or something would be great. Caregivers often have it just as rough as the patients.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.