Hi everyone. My name is Ilyse. married and have two boys. I am new to this site, but not new to cancer. First diagnosed with tongue cancer (squamous)in 1999. Had tongue surgery and right lymph node removed. Was clear until Feb 2010. I found another sore on right side of tongue and pain in my ear and neck. Yes cancer back and under went another mouth Surgery. Almost a year later felt pain in neck again. Went to my ENT a couple of times. He felt and saw nothing, but I knew the cancer was back. Sure enough lump appeared in right side of neck. June 2011 had modified neck. All nodes clear, but Dr found thyroid cancer and a schwannoma tumor on right side of head on auditory nerve. Thyroid removed, recieved radio active iodine. Radiation and chemo (cisplatin) for 7 weeks. Thank goodness that is over. Now recovering from skull base surgery. Very thankful tumor (Schwanoma) is not cancerous. Dr. only removed 20% of tumor to spare hearing loss and facial paralysis. In a couple of months will have Gamma Knife Radiation.

I have found every cancer. Not the Dr's. Listen to your body. see a Dr. if symptoms are not gone in two weeks. Get a second oppinion. I have two ENT's and they both said get another oppinion.

This is such a wonderful site to read and share information. Let's us know we are not alone.

Keep fighting and don't give up. Treatments are not easy, but do able.

I wish everyone all the best. Take care.

Ilyse
46 non smoker non drinker.
SCC stage 2 in 1999 and 2010.
Recurrence 2011. Stage 4. Modified neck, thyroid cancer found. 7 weeks IMRT/Chemo cisplatin. Aug - Sept 2011.
2012 shwanna tumor on right auditory nerve. Not Cancerous only 20% removed. Wll do Gamma
knife.