Hello, all. Sorry I haven't written in a while-been too busy going to doctors all over town and chemo once a week! :-)
The chemo seems to have stabilized the small tumors under my chin and around my larynx, so now the medical oncologist wants me to talk w/the surgical oncologist about possible removal of these problem spots.
I'm a little nervous as it seems that every time I've awakened after surgery with this doc it's, "Surprise! You're now going to live with a mouth opening the size of a quarter!", or "Surprise! You now have a (temporary) stoma in your throat and won't be able to breathe clearly for the first little while!" (This last was especially terrifying)
I'm all for getting the cancer while it's not running rampant in my head, but there's a bit to be said for quality of life, also. From my understanding, chances are that I won't be able to speak/communicate by voice AT ALL for 3-6 months!!! This is quite the stomach-churner, as I live alone. Also, the cancer is in my lymph system and it seems that I'll NEVER be completely free of it, right? It can travel to any other part of my body at will when it's cut out of my throat, right?
I'm scared to death. It seems that the surgeon just wants to show what a great surgeon he is and nevermind the human wreckage left in the wake...
I know I'm making this a lot more severe than it probably will turn out to be, but I NEED THE FACTS before I submit-yet again-to the knife.
Any encouraging words and/or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
gordon

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo