Brett, welcome to OCF! I hope you dont need to be here and that your sore turns out to be nothing serious!

As far as a biopsy goes, its usually a 3 visit thing. First time is the exam and they will give you 3 options. They will take your insurance info and get pre approved. The next visit is the biopsy and the third visit is the results. It usually takes a week for the results to come back. Most often you will need to go into the office to get the results in person.

The 3 ways to do a biopsy are as follows. Do it without anything to numb you, a local numbing agent or to be knocked out under anesthesia. Personally, I prefer just to let them take a tiny snip without anything. Then you dont have the numb mouth for hours or worse, have to get someone to drive you and sit with you while you sleep. Its really not that bad. You may be sore for maybe 2 or 3 days at the most. Of course all that depends on where your sore is and if the doc can easily get a tiny sample.

Try to keep yourself busy so you dont worry. I know its not easy to do but try reading a book, watching movies, or something else to keep your mind off the mouth problem.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy