Hi, Brett!

I'm just catching your thread now, but I am so happy to hear that your biopsy was negative!

My experience with my initial biopsy was that he had to excise a piece of tongue(about the size of a chick pea) under local anesthetic and boy did it hurt like hell! So, my experience was quite different than some posting in this thread.

As far as a punch biopsy goes, they may not have stitched it due to the location. My ENT/surgical oncologist said that "the tongue is very forgiving" in that it fills in well and will kind of "remold" itself to the confines of your oral cavity. My guess is that you are indeed irritating it by sticking it out so far and so often. That would make a normal tongue sore, unless you're Gene Simmons! So, I would say give it a rest. You may want to avoid acidic foods until it heals and any textures that are difficult for you to manipulate with the tongue. If you're still concerned about infection or keeping the biopsy site clean, you can ask your ENT for chlorohexidine oral rinse, which will help cleanse the wound. You shouldn't use it long-term, though, because it stains your teeth.

All said and done, the best part is that you don't have oral cancer! I'm glad you came to us for support! Best of luck to you!

smile Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!