I was fired via text message about 2 weeks before my treatment ended due to an altercation with my boss (who was a jerk!!). AND I was working every day!! I would go back to work after radiation for the first couple of weeks and then I got my appointment later in the day so I could just go home afterwards. I went the unemployment route, thinking it would be quicker. He fought it and won all 3 appeals, so I was without any income for 6 months. So the I applied for SSD. All very easy to do on-line. I had to sign some forms and drop them off at the local office. With those forms, I also included all of the clinical reports from my surgeon. If I remember right, I heard from them about 4 months later. They called to let me know that I had an appointment with one of their doctors. Went and saw her, took about 10 minutes. I have all of my test reports, clinical reports, lab reports etc in a big manual with dividers. I took that with me, so when she asked certain questions, I had all of the answers at my fingertips. I was approved and they went back to my diagnosis date. They add 5 months to that date and I think they call that your "eligible date". A few weeks later, I received a check for the previous 12 months!! I got the check before I got the letter telling me I was approved. From what I read, head and neck cancers are one of the highest approved. I wouldn't suggest getting an attorney. They take about 25% of your first check. Also, 2 years from your eligible date, you go on Medicare. Which finally happened for me this last January. 2 years without insurance was soooooo scary! Good luck!

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***