My son applied for SSI, and was denied, even though his doctor had sent a letter indicating the seriousness of his condition, that he was completely disabled and would be for some time to come. Appointments that we had lasted hours, very tiring for my son, right after surgery, and the interviewers were extremely unkind, at one point asking me, with my son sitting right next to me if he was "terminal". After many screw-ups at their office, and many interviews lasting hours, he was not approved. The denial letter also stated that even though he was not approved, that it did not mean that he was not completely disabled and that we could re-apply but only after a specified time or pursue his case with an attorney, which we could not afford. So, in view of the favorable comments above, I can only assume that perhaps it depends where you live or which SS office you go to. If you go to any that treat you in a less than extremely compassionate way, run away fast and get an attorney - one that will wait to get paid, preferably. Also, have someone go with you to run interference for you. As Mick says, "if denied, definitely get a lawyer".

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)