Woo Hoo. It's been 24 hours since I had my Mic tube replaced with a Mic-Key button (low profile). Turns out that they had mismeasured me last time but luckily they had ordered three sizes and the 3.5cm worked. It was so nice to be able to go to the gym without wrapping an ace bandage across the tube hanging down. So far so good with syringing both my crushed pills and the Vitamix dinners.
I'm going to order some extra connectors online (I will use the OCF amazon link) since it only came with two and they don't last long. Next step is to get my medical supply house to start ordering them for me but I will have to get my ENT to give me a prescription.
The doctors would not let my wife into the OR to show her how to change it but they agreed that in three months, they will change the next one in the ready room bed so she can see it and then give me a script for the button replacement as long as I sign a legal waiver for them. They would prefer me to come back every three months to them, but it takes about 4 hours with parking and waiting and registration and the inevitable delay, etc plus my co pay is $200.
I did not realize the Mic Tube retails for $50 and lasts 6 months while the Mic key button retails for $150 and lasts 3 months until I started to shop online for the connectors
All my doctors were so discouraging about switching while all the on line forums of caregivers for children with tubes encouraged me. Sometimes you just have to listen to the patients and caregivers to get the real story.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13