Today is the big Button day for me. In a few hours, I will go into the surgery room at Georgetown Hospital to get my Mic-Key button. I had to contact the head of the Interventional Radilogy dept to check if they had ordered the correct size from Sept and it turns out they did not. However to make up for it, he special ordered three sizes: 2.5". 3" and 3.5" all in 16FR so one of them should fit.
All of the mom's on the blenderized Diet listserv told me that they never had to clean out the anti reflux valve and several had me laughing out loud when they said they had to look up what one was despite using a button on their kids for years.
My wonderful caregiver wife is a little nervous about having to change it in three months but we will deal with that then.
That's assuming they even give me the necessary prescription to order it as they warned me they may want me to come back to have the button changed by them the first time.
No gastro or GI doc (and I've contacted 5 of them) will just change it due to malpractice insurance restrictions on treating patients who had fluoroscopic instead of endoscopic placement. So I've really had a PFG these three years wink
Thanks to slash and other OCF members who have ditched the pegtube for a button and encouraged me. It is a little unnerving that this will be the first time none of the 6 surgeons in IR have inserted a button, only tubes, but that bodes well for my wife to be able to do it too.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 02-09-2012 06:55 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13