Hello,

I guess I'm a little lost and nervous. First, a little about me. I'm a 27 yr old male, non-smoker and occasional drinker (few times a year). Between Christmas and New Years I had a very minor sore throat on the right side of my throat. This persisted on and off for about two weeks and I eventually went to the local mec center. The doctor did a strep test and it came back negative and my throat hasn't bothered me sense then. He said the right side of my throat looked fine, but that the left tonsil was a little swollen. Knowing a little bit about tonsil cancer, I asked him if I should be concerned about it. He looked at it again and said no, and that sometimes parts of the mouth swell larger than other parts.

I felt a little uncomfortable with that diagnosis and decided to get a second opinion from an ENT, and that appointment is scheduled for February 6.

My question here is, how do you all deal with the anxiety and nervousness between appointments and receiving results? I'm having a very tough time and it's keeping me awake at night and ruining my appetite. The left tonsil is "somewhat" enlarged, but not massively (not taking up half my mouth) and does not hurt at all. But, it does look different than my other tonsil. Last weekend I was in the ER for a minor heart issue and the CBC blood test results from that day all came back ok, though some of the results were on the "lower end" of "normal". Also, when I was 3 or 4 yrs old I did have a few months period in which I had several bouts of strep throat.

My main reason for setting up an appointment with the ENT is just to be safe and also for peace of mind. For all I know my tonsil has been like this for a long time and I've only now noticed it. I'm just having a tough time dealing with the anxiety and stress of waiting, especially after everything I've read on here and other websites. Thanks for listening.