Yes sorry - Eric is right it usually it's good to wait it out a few weeks to see if it subsides,. So try not to freak as it could be many things ! The gum thing sounds unusual... But not really cancer related though those here who've had cancer on their gums may give you input. What triggered my response is your tongue comment about a ball or solid mass inside and a soreness (stinging and burning on the outside) that sounds far too familiar to me to just let it go. Though most BOT tumors are asymptomatic (no pain) most of these types of tumors are discovered when the cancer moves into the neck or there's difficulty swallowing - however oral tongue (your tongue is very long and resides in your mouth and throat - oral tongue - mouth - Base OF Tongue - often HPV+ related - is in your throat ) oral tongue depending on the person and location can be symptomatic. I had a mass IN my tongue - and a redness (no sore) under my tongue - it burned and stung when I ate - particularly acidic or spicy or hot foods. So this is why I piped up. It could be any number of things - not necessarily cancer - but I'm going to say err on the side of caution - make an ENT appointment. Make him or her FEEL the spot inside your tongue. Then see what he or she says. 2 things - do not let them blow you off because of your age. It is very very unusual - but NOT unheard of for someone your age to have oral cancer. And not everyone who is a OC patient is an old man with a history of heavy drinking and smoking... I'm a 40 yr old vegetarian, who does yoga, exercises, has NEVER smoked or drank for that matter. And There are a few of us here.
Okay so now that I have probably just made you panic, remember that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you have cancer. However do find a qualified ENT - someone with experience in OC to have a look at it. If it is OC - you've caught it early - please don't worry there are many survivors here who've been throughs it! And having it looked at will do one important thing... Ease your mind! also if it's not cancer (a more probable scenario) then they can likely tell you what's up. Also talk to a family member. There is no need to be scared or alone. smile take care.

Last edited by Cheryld; 12-17-2011 09:43 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan