I had a right tonsil cancer and there was no pain involved. It was basically asymptomatic with the exception of some slight hoarseness and sensation of something stuck in my throat.

Although the general rule is that if something doesn't respond to treatment (like antibiotics) in 2 weeks then its time to see an ENT or head and neck surgeon, there are exceptions to this. Peritonsilar access (PTA), for example, can take months of antibiotics to effect a cure. The tonsils tend to swell up when infected, making for a sore throat and difficulty swallowing.

In my case, the tumor had gotten so large (6cm) that it was practically choking me. I was, however, able to eat and drink normally. The tumor itself was an unmistakable, tan, rubbery blob that actually was pushing my uvula to the side. No tonsillectomy was required as the radiation simply melted them away.

I dont understand the correlation between the slow healing of the scratches on your legs and OC. Diabetes is what typically causes poor extremity healing.

In any case, GERD is not something to be taken lightly but, more typically, the risk factor with it is esophageal cancer.

There was no ambiguity when I was diagnosed initially with OC. The ENT made the pronouncement in mere seconds during the oral exam -no scope - just mirrors - not even a biopsy although one was ordered and confirmed his visualization.

Some ENT's have made a good practice inserting tubes in kids ears - make sure that yours has OC experience.

I would not recommend getting a tonsillectomy until cancer is ruled out, by biopsy, (if they can find a region of interest (ROI) to biopsy.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)