Try not to worry - if he is HPV + it responds very well to radiation & chemo. As for nursing him - priority is eating ( get him to add some pounds now if you can) - let him enjoy the foods he loves! And lots of them. Head & neck rads makes swallowing painful and taste buds run for cover for a long while - he should be okay up to week 3 or four then things get dicey. Ensure and boost got me through the worst of it. Trying to maintain his swallowing reflex is important - they may peg him so he should still try to swallow even just water if he can!! Hydration and nutrition are important throughout treatment - and added protein as well. I used to toss a scoop I'd protein powder into my ensure once a day. Rads is cumulative so the worst time is actually the two weeks following radiation. Chemo depending on the person is either okay (minor nausea) or really bad - it depends on how the person handles it. Pain management is also important but there will be a bunch of scripts so not to worry. Also have his tsh levels tested prior to treatment so you know what's nomal for him - if he's taking antioxidants stop them now - they interfere with radiation. Depending on his skin type (fair skinned tend to burn and blister the most) so invest in a good cream. I'm sure if I've missed something others will join in and share - Sorry you have to join our group but when're here for support if you need it. Take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan