Same same with my Alex.

I was beside myself thinking that they weren't treating Alex properly and like you, wondered how could they possibly see a recurrence in time? So in my typical arrogant (I prefer the term pro-active) fashion I went looking for the research to bash the oncologists over the head with and discovered that yes indeed, scan is recommended within 6 months of treatment (ours was 12 weeks which seems to be the norm in our neck of the woods) and then "as indicated based on signs/symptoms; not routinely recommended for asymptomatic patients". This is quoted from the US NCCN guidelines - Head and Neck (oropharyngeal section and which links to follow up (FOLL-A). Guidelines are on this site but I can never find them so have my own link that I refer to all the time (sorry Brian).

Most disappointed and live in hope that the guidelines will one day change to allow Alex to have a PET after his Weeties every day (assuming that one day he will actually be able to eat Weeties smile ).

But seriously, I suppose there are so many things going on in the body, that if you had a PET every year, you would eventually turn up with a positive associated with infection, scar tissue or whatever which would be just as useful as tits on a bull.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight