Becky, best of luck to you and your husband. Sounds as if he's getting good care and definitely has a good support structure at home!

I too found it odd that they'd be doing a PET so soon after rads. Typically we get these things several months, even 6, after the end of treatment when things have calmed down. That minimizes the false positives. But then, I'm no doctor so yours clearly want to learn something I don't know about!

And yeah, getting a thyroid check now probably isn't too critical as he's already been blasted. But in most cases - let me amend to say in MY case - whatever damage the radiation does to the thyroid is very treatable with daily medication. Which amounts to taking a small pill every day and is no big deal.

Did he see a dentist for fluoride trays? That's another area of concern and you might check with your doc or dentist if you haven't been advised about this.

Continued good health to him. Keep asking questions here at the forum.

Courage!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18