Hi Everyone.

We've had a tough afternoon... After my pre-radiation PET/CT/Sim yesterday- we received a call from the RO's office asking me to come back in ASAP. There is a hot spot measuring 8.5 from the PET done yesterday. The RO looked at the tongue and saw a spot that looked like it could either be scar tissue or possibly worse. She called up to my Surgeon who was not in- nor reachable. She said this is very out of character so we assume that he is traveling or was truly out of contact this afternoon. She then called in the Pathologist who did three Fine Needle biopsies of the questionable area. The good news there is that apparently the tissue was not hard like a tumor would be- and the needles went right in, in the areas she stuck.
I was sent up for another more localized CT, and will be doing an MRI on Sunday so that they can put together the group of images. From there it will be determined whether I need further biopsies and possible further surgery or if I will carry on the road we are on and begin radiation the week after next.
My surgery was on 9/17. Has anyone had good pathology reports post surgery and then had the hot PET and a tongue that is still a bit numb and sore on the surgical side? Being that this is my fifth operation on the same area- is it likely that because of the significant scar tissue it is taking longer to heal?
I just don't know... It seems extremely quick to have a recurrence. How do you know and trust path reports.

The RO is lovely and thorough. I was so upset that the surgeon was not available. They will take a look at he CT from today and the MRI I do on Sunday and get back to me on Monday.

I am sad. I am nervous. I am scared. If there is something- I'm happy to be finding it now and not in another month- but it just seems crazy to me. I want this to be gone!!

Sorry- this is half vent- half asking if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks,
Sally

Sally, 38 years old
T1N0M0 Left Tongue Lesion, Moderately Differentiated
10 + year history Leukoplakia, Mild Dysplasia before cancer diagnosis 8/2011
Scheduled Partial Glossectomy & Neck Dissection 9-17-11