Hi Dave,
I will tell you that when Kevin called me from work and asked me to make him a Dr appt because he had had this swollen lymph node for several weeks, I panicked. He really has not been sick with more than a cold for the 30 years we have been married. I had only seen him vomit once...before chemo!
Anyway, the doc treated it like it was nothing. I started really paying attention and realized he could not hear me as well, he cleared his throat often, his voice had changed and he had complained of ringing in his ear. ALL symptoms of OC. They would not listen to me and Kevin wouldn't let me push it because he wouldn't even consider it. The docs kept saying he just didn't fit the profile of someone with OC.(He fit the profile of HPV OC perfectly.) I even cornered our GP at a party and told her she was wrong and I was sure he had cancer. She just looked at me.
Kevin works out of state for 3 weeks at a time and went back to work. By the time he got home I had an appt with the ENT and after several more weeks got them to do a biopsy. Lo and behold....Be your own advocate. DO NOT let anyone make you think you are crazy. Find someone that will listen and do a small biopsy of your lip. Maybe even just a dermatologist. Go with your gut Dave, trust me!

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14