Kim, as a former smoker, I know how hard it can be to quit. I hope this is nothing more than a wake up call for you. Since you are a smoker, the cigarettes are irritating your sores. Do the best you can to cut back on your smoking. If you havent spoken to your family doctor about this then I would suggest you do so right away. If you dont have cancer at this time, do you want to up your odds of getting it? Even worse would be if you really did have cancer and continued to smoke making things even worse. Anyone who has cancer and continues to smoke will only significantly up their chances of having a recurrence. PLEASE quit!!!!! Do it for yourself, not anyone else.

When I was diagnosed with oral cancer the first time, I was on my way for a feeding tube consult. The light bulb finally went on and the reality of becoming a cancer patient due to smoking made me angry. I decided right then and there that I had smoked my last cigarette and threw the whole pack out the window. I told my son i would never smoke another cigarette in my life. That was over 4 years ago, I have not smoked a cigarette since. I have not even been tempted. I figured why should I tempt fate by continuing to smoke.

I know you are afraid. Its so scary thinking you have cancer. The mind sure plays tricks on you! You start to think all kinds of "what if's". This is enough to make anyone nuts!!! Do yourself a favor and calm down, relax! IF and that is a HUGE IF, you have cancer then you are in the right place to get help. We will help you as much as we possibly can. So keep busy, clean out your closets, do your family ancestry, clean out the basement or garage, paint a room in your house. Do positive things to stay busy to make the time fly by until you get checked out.

I am concerned about the spot that has appeared where you put your cigarette on your lip. That place is where you are taking in the most chemicals. Please get rid of the cigs!!!!!

Last edited by ChristineB; 09-20-2011 05:09 PM. Reason: added info

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy